Saturday, July 24, 2010

For the love of Subway!

It did not take me long to realize (btw, that pic is from my honeymoon in Thailand, no other reason) that fast food restaurants don't cater at all to vegetarians, let alone vegans.  There are a lot of websites out there that list out everything that is safe in just about any restaurant you can think of.  The problem is, I can only survive so long on fries, fruit pies, and salads.  Even the veggie patties that you may find are not vegan.

Ok, here is a side complaint about vegetarian cheese.  For a month, I was buying a veggie cheese, only to find out that it was not vegan. My question is, who is going to the trouble to buy vegetarian cheese, and is not interested in omitting dairy? What is the point? If you aren't going dairy free, eat cheese for god's sake. I know, I am excluding those who are lactose intolerant, but I'm the crabby one.

I do travel a lot in my job. Some plane, mostly car. I'm all too familiar with Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky, and parts of Tennessee, and Alabama (now thats another blog entry, vegan in Huntsville). I was quick to discover that Subway was probably one of the better fast meals I was likely to come by.  And when I found out the veggie patties they used were not vegan I was crushed.  A footlong salad sandwich only goes so far.

Let me try to describe my love of the sandwich.  If that was the only thing I could eat for the rest of my life, I would never grow tired. Ahhhh, the fresh bread, some prosciutto, capicolla, provalone,... etc. etc... It was my all time favorite thing, and one of my constant cravings... I digress

So Subway veggie delight is my road savior for the time being. Its not my favorite, but it is better than the road alternatives. I will admit, I never get one unless there are not other options.

I wonder if I will ever crave that??????????

No comments:

Post a Comment