Wednesday, October 13, 2010

For me, its still about the Food

A few weeks ago I hooked this account up to twitter, and setup a new twitter account to push this blog out to a few more people.  Perhaps someone may read these entries and gain either some enlightenment, entertainment, or just get lulled into a bored stupor.  In any event, I hope readers of this, other than myself, find some thread of enjoyment buried in these words.  I've had a number of comments from folks, and am generally having a good time making new friends, chatting with folks from all over that I have a common bond with.  It makes me feel less alone, and less isolated and weird as this sometimes makes me feel. Not to mention a few eccentric friends who clearly add a tremendous amount of humor, mixed with a fair amount of bizarre/creepy entertainment.  You know who you are.


As far as explaining my diet to people, I can tell you without a doubt, I ate some fine food today, and there was not a lettuce leaf or vegetable to be found (in all fairness, the vegetables no longer resembled their former self).  I wish I could explain this to my friends that think I am just eating salads every day.  I still get picture messages from friends (one in particular, I'm pretty sure he isnt reading my blog) who would happen to be out dining (typically on large chunks of meat), and feel compelled to share it with me.  I'm really not offended by that (maybe I should be).  They right me off as being another wacky liberal.  I do know that being vegan is more than just a diet.  Perhaps veganism is much more of a political statement, and I am really just a non-dairy, non-eggs, vegetarian (a foodie?).  I don't know if I'm ready to take it all on just yet.  I tried to explained simply to a co worker that I don't consume any animal derived products.  Seemed an easy way to describe it.  She did roll her eyes at me, and for a brief instant, I wanted to smack her, but that goes against my peace loving nature.


For me it is still mostly about the food.  I've blogged a little about the industries, the dairy, poultry, etc. but I really don't obsess about it.  For a lot of people veganism is more of a religion.  Its a religion that encompasses a lifestyle, and a diet.  For me its still just a diet.  I'm not all jacked up about people that breed Golden Retrievers, or Seaworld, or leather wrapped steering wheels (Remember, I jumped into this without knowing what or why I was doing this).  So for me it was only about the food.  I have learned a few things along the way, and I am sickened by the over consumption that our society pushes, but I dont wear it on my sleeve.  


One week later..... That being said, I must say that every day I evolve, and words I write one day, may not carry the same strength a day, a week or a month later.  I wrote the bulk of this entry about a week ago when I was sitting up in my hotel room in Milwaukee.  Its a week later, and although its still a foodie thing for me, my language feels a little strong, and I am compelled to re-write and soften my opinion.  I decided to take another approach and just make this comment, and leave it where it is.  I think I'm growing up,... slowly.

3 comments:

  1. Creepy friend checking in.

    I understand what you mean about it just being about the food. I used to wonder why I didn't get as upset as other vegans, or why I wasn't the type of person that would go out and protest for the animals...aren't we all on the same team? I think it all sort of evolves the longer you are a vegan, it's like...stages of development. Come talk to me when you get to the angry stage, we can listen to Nirvana together and be all angsty with our lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the same way in the beginning. But as time went on I started to see things differently and eventually changed my ways entirely. I gave away all of my expensive shoes, handbags and favorite wool peacoat. If you would have told me 3 years ago that would be the case, I wouldn't believe you.

    I agree with your friend up there. Things will change the longer you're vegan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the replies. this is what i suspect is going on, and will continue to go on, but it is interesting to note that its a typical process. i didnt really think about the "stages", so that will be interesting when it occurs. thank you both for validating what i'm going through though. its a confusing time. i feel like its highschool all over again, and i'm trying to find my own identity :)

    ReplyDelete